Huzzah! The Carolina Renaissance Festival Opens 20th Year This Weekend
Oct 01, 2013 10:45AM
● By Jason Huddle
The Festival’s artisan marketplace mimics 16th century architecture and features over 100 merchants, crafters, and artists that create, demonstrate, and sell quality handmade wares. Eleven outdoor stages and performance settings burst to life with non-stop theater, comedy, music, dance, magic, circus entertainments, and exciDuketing falconry demonstrations. Hundreds of costumed villagers fill the lanes with additional entertainment. Enjoy an array of country fair games, people-powered rides, and feasting fit for royalty. The Festival’s signature attraction features medieval Knights on horseback jousting three times daily in the Queen’s tournament arena.
In addition to the popular Festival antics, 20th celebrations include special guest performances by four variety acts visiting from around the globe and performing on stage for a limited time. Their Majesties’ special guests include:
• The Duke of Danger!Performing unique and ill-advised acrobatic stunts combined with good-natured humor and physical comedy. This is a family friendly show.
• MooNiE the Magnificent!A renaissance clown that surprises adults and children alike with exceptional juggling, daring adventures, and intelligently sophomoric comedy – all without speaking a word!
• The Checkerboard Guy!A high-energy comedy and prop-centric variety show that turns audiences of all ages into heroes!
• Broon!A lovable “bad boy” that combines sly wit and conversational comedy with a variety of tricks and stunts that are sure to keep you entertained from start to end!
Also new for the 20th year is the addition of a second vehicle access on NC-73 to improve patron entry and exiting. “We are always looking for ways to improve the Festival experience for our patrons and for the community that has grown around us over the past two decades.” said festival producer, Jeff Siegel. The Festival, in partnership with sponsor Harris Teeter, will continue to offer free event parking.
WHEN YOU GO: • When: Eight consecutive weekends, Saturdays and Sundays, from October 5th through November 24th. The Festival runs from 10:00 AM until 5:30 PM, rain or shine.
• Travel Tips: Located just north of Charlotte between Concord & Huntersville at near equal distance from I-77 and I85. Take I-77 to exit 25 and head east. Take I-85 to exit 52 or 55 and head west. Come early!Beat traffic, park close, and enjoy lots to see and do!
• Advance Discount Tickets: $21 for adults, $11 for kids ages 5-12; available at Harris Teeter Stores region wide. Children under 5 are always free. Tickets purchased at the gate are $1 more, or print your own online at RenFestInfo.com. Seniors ages 60 and over and Military discount tickets are available at the gate with adults at $19 and $9 for children ages 5 – 12. Parking is free courtesy of Harris Teeter.
• Presenting Sponsors: Harris Teeter, Pepsi, & The Charlotte Observer. Additional sponsors include: Diamond Springs, Carolinas HealthCare System, Sunbelt Rentals, Valpak, Party City, Jersey Mike’s, Chick-Fil-A, Autobell Carwash, Qdoba Mexican Grill, AAA of the Carolinas, Visit Lake Norman, Mann Travels, Keffer Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram, & Comfort Suites of Huntersville.
• Directions, High Res. Photos, Videos, & More: Visit RenFestInfo.com or call toll free (877) 896-5544