S&D Takes Home Eight Awards
Jul 10, 2015 03:45PM ● Published by Jason Huddle
CONCORD - S&D Coffee & Tea received eight awards in the recent iced tea class competition presented by the North American Tea Championship (NATC), earning the greatest number of honors of any foodservice competitor and practically sweeping the BIB (bag-in-box) category. S&D teas have received first place awards in five out of the past six national iced tea competitions.
“Our stellar performance at this year’s NATC — taking home more than 42 percent of the awards in the foodservice category — affirms our position as the leading supplier of iced tea to the foodservice industry,” said John Buckner, VP of marketing for S&D. “I commend our team’s hard work to continue providing industry-leading, business-driven beverage solutions to our customers.”
The iced tea class is divided into categories according to market application and sales channel: ready-to-drink, foodservice and instant. Each category is then separated into sub-categories to represent popular products currently being sold in the marketplace. S&D was honored in the foodservice category with the following awards:
- First place in the BIB Black Sweetened category for its Teafinity Sweet Black
- First place in the BIB Green Flavored category for its Teafinity Low-Calorie Pomegranate Green
- Second place in the Green Flavored category for its RAC Citrus Green-Open Brew
- Second place in the BIB Black Flavored category for its Teafinity Peach Black
- Second place in the BIB Green Flavored category for its Teafinity Pomegranate Green All-in-One Concentrate
- Third place in the BIB Green Flavored category for its Teafinity Honey Green All-in-One Concentrate
- Third place in the BIB Black Flavored category for its Teafinity Raspberry Black
- Third place in the Black Flavored category for RAC Mango Black
“The NATC competition gives us a chance to showcase our innovative product development and demonstrate that high quality, great tasting tea can come from a large-scale producer,” said Grant Cates, R&D beverage technologist - tea products with S&D. “By creating unique, superior products, S&D crafts value for our customers and helps them capitalize on trends, such as botanically flavored green tea and sparkling iced tea — products that earned S&D awards in this year’s competition.”
NATC is the only independent competition that aims to distinguish the highest quality and best tasting teas commercially available in the North American marketplace. Iced teas were evaluated June 11-12, 2015, at Wilbur Curtis Corporate Headquarters in Los Angeles, and NATC’s judging panel of professional cuppers assessed each submission based on a blind sensory analysis of five characteristics: flavor, body, color, clarity and balance. The ratings of each characteristic were used to calculate an overall numerical value on a 100-point scale, and winners were determined by rank.
For more information and a complete list of winners, visit http://www.teachampionship.com/index.php/iced-tea-class.