Fuel Your Day the Healthy Way
Jul 18, 2016 04:34AM ● Published by Family Features
Between balancing work with family and friends, squeezing in a healthy meal can be hard, and finding time for a workout can be even harder. A busy lifestyle demands quick, portable and convenient foods that let you refuel your body with better health in mind.
When time is tight, it may be tempting to reach for pre-packaged snacks or fast food, but you can make your own grab-and-go snack packs and meals at home in less time than it takes to get through the drive-thru lane.
A cool and refreshing superfood smoothie can give you a much-needed boost when your energy is dragging. Another smart snacking tip: fill sandwich bags with servings of fresh fruits and veggies that you can carry in your purse or gym bag to nibble on when hunger strikes. Options such as watermelon cubes or sticks are a great choice because they are high in fiber and water to help fill you up with nutrients instead of calories.
Also be mindful of how you answer sweet tooth cravings. A naturally sweet treat such as a slice of watermelon is a satisfying alternative to cookies or candy. In fact, working sweet flavors into your regular meals is a way to keep cravings at bay. This salad combines an ancient grain high in protein and nutrients with the sweet crunch of fresh watermelon for a rich taste and texture.
Find more tips and recipes to fuel your day at watermelon.org.
Ancient Grain Salad with Watermelon
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- salt, to taste
- 3 cups warm, cooked kamut grain (about 1 1/2 cups dry)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup diced green onions, plus 1 tablespoon
- 1/3 cup thin-sliced celery
- 1 cup corn
- 2 cups chopped watermelon
- In small bowl, blend oil, maple syrup, lemon juice, lemon zest and salt. Add kamut and pecans. Stir thoroughly and let sit until cooled.
- In tall glass bowl, assemble salad by placing one-third of the kamut mixture on bottom, topped by half each of the onions and celery, corn and watermelon. Repeat. Add remaining kamut on top and sprinkle with remaining diced green onion. Present as layered salad and toss just before serving.
Nutritional information per serving: 247 calories; 13.2 g fat; 1.6 g saturated fat; 3.7 g protein; 28.4 g carbohydrates; 15 g sugar; 30 mg calcium; 1.2 mg iron; 291 mg potassium; 13 mg sodium; 3.7 g fiber.
Rosy Red Superfood Smoothie
Servings: 3 (1 cup each)
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 cup raspberry kefir
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- ice (optional)
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
Nutritional information per serving: 201 calories; 4.4 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 6 g protein; 34 g carbohydrates; 29 g sugar; 3 mg cholesterol; 189 mg calcium; 1.6 mg iron; 438 mg potassium; 23.5 mg sodium; 4.8 g fiber.