Merry Made Easy
Nov 28, 2016 03:33AM
By Family Features
(Family Features) The holidays are the time of year when families and friends come together, and when special moments and memories are plentiful. This year, instead of just letting the holidays happen, make them happen by embracing the season.
No matter how or where you celebrate, sometimes you need a little inspiration to pull it all together, especially when entertaining. Chef, restaurateur and co-host of ABC’s “The Chew,” Carla Hall offers these tips to help you savor every joyous, frenzied moment.
Simply smarter shopping: Having an open mind at the grocery store often means having better options in the kitchen. When shopping for a recipe, look for the best ingredients, like seasonal produce, even if it’s not called for in the original dish. At stores such as ALDI, you’ll find hand-selected holiday items that won’t break the bank and can make your celebrations special and memorable. From premium, affordable ingredients to cookware you’ll need to perfect those show-stopping recipes, you can find everything you need at ALDI to make the holidays happen without busting your budget.
Flour power: When cooking with flour, try whisking the flour in the bag before measuring. When you loosen the flour, you get a more accurate measurement, which can lead to better tasting food.
Cook now, enjoy again and then again: You can also stay ahead of the game by cooking more than you need. For example, if your recipe calls for stock or fortified broth, increase the amount and save for later. It’ll come in handy when you need to make the gravy. If preparing a vegetable side dish, use your leftovers to create a delicious omelet or strata.
Make ’em sing for their supper: The centerpiece of any home is the kitchen. It’s where everyone comes together to make holidays happen, so try including the whole family in the process. Give family members some fun and easy tasks to help you out. They can help scrub and peel vegetables, set the table and be your special taste testers. It’s a great way to make memories during the holidays, and can give your family members a lesson in creating delicious recipes, like this Pineapple Glazed Ham.
Visit aldi.us/holiday for more tips, tricks, recipes and fun ideas on how to make the most of your holiday season.
Pineapple Glazed Ham
Recipe courtesy of Carla Hall
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
- 1 Specially Selected Spiral Cut Double Glazed Ham
- 1 cup pineapple juice from Sweet Harvest Pineapple Slices
- 1/4 cup Specially Selected 100 percent Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon Tuscan Garden White Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Burman’s Dijon Mustard
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns from Stonemill Peppercorn Grinder
- 1/2 teaspoon Stonemill Iodized Salt
- Heat oven to 375° F
- In 9-by-13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish, place ham cut side down.
- In small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring remaining ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain steady boil and cook, whisking occasionally, until syrupy and reduced to 1/2 cup.
- Pour hot glaze over ham, distributing evenly. Bake 35-40 minutes, basting every 10 minutes, until well-glazed and heated through.
- Transfer ham to serving platter. Strain pan sauces; transfer to serving dish. Pass pan sauce with ham.