Cabarrus Residents Can Participate in Cabarrus’ Annual Gift Tree Program
Nov 28, 2016 04:03PM
● By Melanie Heisinger
On the Wendy Gainey Christmas Trees you’ll find tags asking for video games, bikes and dolls. Alongside those are tags that list essential items, like socks, calendars, blankets and soap. Wendy Gainey Memorial Christmas Trees hold a special place for locals with a special wish and a special need this holiday season. And those wishes wouldn’t come true without the generosity of our community.
Through Cabarrus County Helping Hearts and Hands (Ch3), an employee-run charitable committee, the community is invited to join employees in selecting a tag and making a holiday wish a reality for local children, individuals in group homes, senior citizens, veterans and more who are serviced by Cabarrus County’s partner agencies. Just before Christmas, Ch3 volunteers will deliver the gifts to the agencies.
Formerly called the Ch3 Helping Hands Tree, the program was renamed in 2011 to honor the memory of Wendy Gainey, a long-time employee of Cabarrus who was passionate about giving back to our community.
Those who wish to provide gifts may select a gift tag from a Christmas tree at one of the following six locations:
- Cabarrus County Governmental Center, 65 Church Street, Concord;
- Cabarrus County Senior Center, 331 Corban Avenue SE, Concord;
- Cabarrus County Public Library - Concord, 27 Union Street North, Concord;
- Cabarrus County Public Library – Kannapolis, 850 Mountain Street, Kannapolis;
- Cabarrus County Public Library – Mt. Pleasant, 8556 Cook Street, Mt. Pleasant
- Cabarrus County Public Library – Harrisburg, 201 Sims Parkway, Harrisburg.
Unwrapped presents in gift bags are due back to the tree location where you selected the gift tag by Monday, December 5.
Here’s how it works:
- Select a gift tag from the tree in one of the six locations.
- The back of the tag provides information about the individual and/or specific gift needs.
- List your name, address and telephone number by the ID number found on the sign-up sheet on the table beside the tree.
- Go shopping and purchase your choice of items from the list.
- Label gifts with the ID number on the gift tag.
- Return unwrapped gifts by Monday, December 5, at 5 p.m. to the tree location where you selected the gift tag.