Cedar Grove Presbyterian Church Celebrates 150 Years
Nov 10, 2017 05:56PM ● Published by Melanie Heisinger
Courtesy of the Cedar Grove Presbyterian Church website.
As a large part of the history within the community, Cedar Grove Presbyterian Church is also one of the oldest African-American Presbyterian Churches in the United States. It was also one of the first churches in Cabarrus County. They were founded in 1867.
The seal features nine key elements:
- Olive wreath – Conveys victory.
- Shield – Signifies protection; trust in the Lord’s protection. Also refers to salvation, faith and safety.
- Ribbon/Banner – Presents the name of Cedar Grove with distinction.
- Cross – Serves as an anchor for the design, as the symbol of our risen Lord’s sacrifice is the anchor of the church itself.
- Center circle – Highlights Cedar Grove’s 150 years of existence.
- Nation's Capitol – Represents contributions to U.S. history, including the first African-American Chief Assistant Clerk in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Military – Underscores the commitment to protect and preserve North Carolina and the United States through local and national military service ever since African-Americans were first permitted to enlist.
- Education – Corresponds to an abiding legacy of the importance of education. A heritage of connections to local Historically Black Colleges and Universities; courageous students integrating schools in the 1960’s; outstanding leadership in training youth; and learning institutions as namesakes of distinguished educators.
- Love – Characterizes the West African adinkra (or visual symbol) for the power of love, independence, freedom and emancipation. “Odo Nnyew Fie Kwan” literally means, “Love never loses its way home.”
Congratulations on 150 years!